Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cauliflower Soup


I never used to like cauliflower very much. Then one evening, we went out for a lovely dinner at Canlis and the amuse bouche was a cauliflower soup. It was ambrosia to my tongue and I immediately went home and emailed the chef for the recipe. I'm not sharing that recipe. I'm sharing a slightly heartier version that I made because I didn't have cream.

Need:

Cauliflower
broth (beef, chicken, or mushroom)
1/2 white onion
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 C milk
1 heaping tbsp. of cream cheese
salt
white pepper

1. Chop onion and sauté in butter until translucent.

2. Rough chop the cauliflower and add to the onions and butter. Add broth and bring to a simmer until the cauliflower is soft.

3. Pour the contents in the pot into a blender. REMOVE THE LITTLE BLENDER LID-KNOB THING AND COVER THE HOLE WITH A TOWEL WHEN YOU TURN IT ON. Otherwise, the pressure will build up and you will have HOT cauliflower debris all over you and your kitchen. I've done this before, it sucks a lot. Blend until smooth.

4. Add the puree back to the pot and add the milk and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth and then taste it. Add salt, if needed, and the white pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment